Monday, August 29, 2011

The Weekend of Irene



The weekend found my sister, daughter and I glued to the TV set watching Hurricane Irene make it's way along the eastern coast of the U.S. It was supposed to cause huge amounts of damage, flooding, etc.

Living in Florida makes us keenly aware of the damage and emotional toll it takes on people. Our hearts were going out to those in its path. My husband was trying to find a way around the massive thing so he could be in place for a Monday delivery on his load. So my nerves were on edge as I didn't want him in harms way.

Well, today is Monday and, although Irene did damage and dumped lots of rain and wind on the east coast, we're thankful it didn't come ashore packing a cat 3/4. I'm sure blessings and miracles abound for those that it affected. My husband is fine and delivered his load on time this morning. My nerves are much calmer today.

This is just part of my world. I lived most of my life in northern Illinois and thought I knew about bad weather. Since moving to Florida, I've learned so much about weather conditions, terminology, what hurricanes are about, how tornadoes can run rampant and become terrible causing wide spread destruction. I guess the fact that I lived in a 'valley' in Illinois saved us from much weather. We definitely had the four seasons and all that entails but weather that could bring harm to you - had no clue.

So, that's why this weekend was tense, spellbinding and heartbreaking watching Hurricane Irene unfold on the east coast. Thankfully it was not as bad as expected. Blessings for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment